5.5 Alcohol and Drugs Policy
- We have an obligation under the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 to provide a safe and healthy working environment.
- We recognise that alcohol and other drug dependencies are diseases which, when brought into the workplace, can expose staff to additional and unnecessary risk of harm.
- This Policy applies to all Employees, contractors and their employees who work on a Numat/Creo site.
- You are expected to report for work in a condition to perform your duties in a safe, productive, and healthy manner which does not endanger yourself or others.
- Unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensing, possession, or use of controlled substances is regarded as serious misconduct and will result in disciplinary action up to and including summary dismissal. This will include if this behaviour happens on Numat/Creo sites, when staying in accommodation provided by us (when working away), or if you are charged with such actions by the Police.
As Drug and alcohol consumption may impair work performance. Drug testing will be undertaken post incident and reasonable cause at our discretion.
Testing will be conducted by an external provider in accordance with the AS/NZS 4308 Procedures for the collection, detection and quantitation of drugs of abuse in urine.
Signs Indicating Impairment from Drugs and Alcohol
- Change in behaviour and / or erratic behaviour
- Sudden and swift changes in mood
- Inability to explain reasons for actions
- Lack of attention / increased incident rates
- Increased risk-taking behaviour
- Decreased reliability / increased absenteeism
- Aggression and violence
- Flushed face
- Smell of alcohol
- Bloodshot eyes
- Slurring and impaired speech
- Unusually slow or fast talking
- Slow response to questions and comments
This procedure acknowledges that alcohol may be consumed (in a controlled manner) as part of Numat/Creo and/or Client functions or gatherings.
You should always be mindful that you are a representative of Numat/Creo and should behave in a responsible and respectful manner as not to impact on the company reputation or jeopardise your safety and the safety of others.
If driving following these occasions employees are responsible to ensure that they remain under the legal alcohol driving limit.
This also applies when you are staying at accommodation provided for by us (when working away).
If you undergo a drug/alcohol screen, and the presence of drugs is detected then you will cease work immediately and be stood down on ordinary pay (employees only) until receipt of confirmation of the result.
In instances of positive drug or alcohol results, an investigation and disciplinary action may occur. We may support a Drug and/or Alcohol rehabilitation programme, and you will only be able to return to work after providing a negative test result.
Should you need to be away from work for more than 3 days, due to drug and/or alcohol use, you will need to apply for annual leave, or we may consider leave without pay. Once you return to work, random testing will be put in place for three months.
If you refuse a drug or alcohol test an investigation and disciplinary action will occur.
You will need to cease work as we cannot be confident you are not under the influence of drugs or alcohol. You will not be paid in this circumstance, and you will need to apply for annual leave, or we may consider leave without pay.